Friday For Future and the movement for climate justice between online and offline participation in comparative perspective
At the Scuola Normale Superiore, I am working together with Marco Deseriis on a research project aiming at investigating both the internal organizational dynamics and the communication dimension of the FFF movement in two European countries, Italy and a Central-Northern European country.
The project aims at deepening the analysis of the organisational and communicative components of the movement through the lenses of social movement studies and social media analysis in two major European countries, bridging the analysis of climate-related collective action and the analysis of the role of social media in political participation. This will be done via a mixed method approach, which will rely on data collected via the distribution of online and offline surveys, semi-structured interviews with organizers and website administrators, social network analysis, and a qualitative reading of social media posts.
Previous research projects:
- DEMOS (Democracy in the EU and the Potential of a European Society) on grassroots alternative visions and practices of Europe. The project was directed by Donatella della Porta at the Scuola Normale Superiore, and I was in charge of the case of labour mobilisation in Italy.
- Collective Action and the Refugee Crisis”, on protests and initiatives in solidarity with asylum seekers. The project was directed by Donatella della Porta at the Scuola Normale Superiore, and I was in charge of the Italian case.
- LIVEWHAT project (Living with Hard Times – How Citizens React to Economic Crises and Their Social and Political Consequences), on the citizens’ responses to the economic crisis, coordinated by Marco Giugni (University of Geneva) and funded from the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme. I worked on the Italian case under the direction of Lorenzo Bosi.
- “Memory in Action: Mediatised Public Memory and the Symbolic Construction of Conflict in Student Movements” (Ph.D. thesis, supervised by Donatella della Porta).
- “National report on students” (“Rapporto Nazionale sui soggetti in formazione”), commissioned by the Italian National Youth Forum (“Forum Nazionale dei Giovani”), c/o Office of the Prime Minister, Department of Youth (“Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri, Dipartimento della Gioventù”).